Saturday, October 23, 2010

Pipes Redux

What is brown, lies on the ground, and is sticky? Answer at the end. Don't peek.

Three weeks ago I showed you four shiny pipes, each one actually a join of several pipes together. But all the joins were at right angles. And based off a cube (a pipe coming out of two or more faces of the cube). Ever since I have wanted to revisit them, and do a much better job.

Remember back in school when you learnt the five platonic solids. Everything from the simple cube to the complex icosahedron. And you probably thought you would never need them again. And you probably never did. Just like most of the stuff you learn in school. Well, I took each of them, and created pipes coming out of each face. You can see them below, 4 pipes for the tetrahedron, 6 for the cube, 8 for the octahedron, 12 for the dodecahedron, and 20 for the icosahedron. I know, I'm such a dork.

I smoothed them all, and then added some textures, and color blending, and various things so they didn't look so flat. The red cube based one is nice, looks like its very hot in the center and cooler toward the edges. But my favorite is the orangey dodecahedron one, the pipes are round and fat, with just the perfect amount of unevenness to the surface so you know it would feel nice under your fingertips. And something about it just looks nicer that all the ones based on triangles.

Generally I think they all came out pretty well. The blue one looks like it has zillions of glass shards embedded in it. And the green one is sort of barky. Not that bark usually comes in green. And the cyan one's surface is like a whole tube of spearmint toothpaste was smeared all over it. So I guess you could say it is sticky.

Which reminds me of the sticky question I posed at the beginning. So what is it that is brown, lies on the ground, and is sticky? Did you think of the answer? Clever you. A stick of course. I hope you weren't thinking of something else.

No comments: